OLD COURT COMPLEX
Seeds of present courts in Jalandhar were sown by Baron Lawrence. After the First Sikh War (1845-46) Baron Lawrence was made Commissioner of the newly annexed district of Jullundur where he subdued hill cheifs, established courts and police posts and curbed female infacticide and Sati. On the Punjab Board of Administration he abolished internal duties, introduced a uniform currency and encouraged road and canal construction. The Board of Administration set up in 1849 was abolised in 1853. The Punjab was put under Chief Commissioner and under him was appointed Judicial Commissioner. Robert Montgomery was the first Judicial Commissioner. Courts were set up in Punjab soon after annexation. The Judicial Department was set up in the year 1853 to provide the courts with the written law which they could administer.
NEW COURT COMPLEX
Prior to 1860 there were four kinds of courts in Punjab province, which were presided over by Deputy Commissioner, Assistant Commissioner, Extra Assistant and Tahsildars of Revenue Offices.