Kanya Maha Vidyalaya, Jalandhar It was established as a school for girls by Local Arya Smaj in 1886 and named as Kanya Maha Vidyalaya in 1896. It was only in 1930 when its students were allowed by Punjab University (Lahore) to appear as private candidates. It was the first private woman college in the state to provide hostel facilities and to introduce music as full fledged subject of study in its curriculum. To began as a school, the college has grown to the status of a Post Graduate Institution.
The college provides instructions in Arts, Science and Commerce upto degree level with Honours in English, Hindi, Punjabi and Psychology and M.A. in English, Hindi and Music (Vocal & Instrumental). Two new subjects, viz. Computer Applications in Economics and Electronics at degree level and diploma in Cosmotology have also been started in the institution. The college brings out the magazine 'Divya' annually.
Lyallpur Khalsa College, Jalandhar Established in 1908 as an intermediate college at Lyallpur (Pakistan), it was raised to a degree college in 1940. It was uprooted in the wake of the partition of the country in 1947 and again reopened at Jalandhar in 1948. The college provides instructions in Arts, Science (Medical & Non Medical) and Commerce upto degree level. The college also runs B.Sc. course in Economics in which students are supposed to acquire the specialization in Quantitative Economics and Computer Applications. Besides, it imparts post-graduate instructions in Punjabi, Political Science, History, Economics and Mathematics. Post Graduate Diploma in Marketing Management, Personal Management and Industrial Relations, Diploma in Agriculture Marketing Management, Diploma in Labour Laws and Personal Management and Diploma in Business Management are also provided in the college. Apart from the above courses, the Centre for Rural Development cum- Management Studies and Computer Science of the college also runs Computer Training classes in the BASIC, COBOL, FORTRON, D-BASE & PASCAL, etc. N.C.C. (Air and Military wings) are also functioning in the college. The college publishes its magazine `The Beas' annually.
Hans Raj Mahila Maha Vidyalaya Jalandhar The college came into existence in 1927 at Lahore (Pakistan) and revived at Jalandhar in 1948 after partition of the country. It imparts instructions in Art, Science (Medical & Non-medical) and Commerce upto degree level and post-graduate instruction in the subject of Hindi, Political Science, Music (Vocal & instrumental) and Commerce. The college has also introduce diploma courses in Computer Technology and post-graduate diploma course in Dress Designing and Tailoring, Costomology Business Management and Commercial Arts. It brings out its magazine 'Deep Shikha' annually.
Doaba College, Jalandhar The college came into existence on 2 June 1941. It provides instructions in 10+2(in Arts, Science and Commerce), B.A., B.Sc.(medical non medical), B. Com and M.A. in English, Mathematics, Political Science, Economics and Hindi. In the evening shift of the collage, it provides instructions in job oriented post graduate diploma courses, viz. Business Management, Personnel Management and Industrial Relations and Diploma in Marketing Management. Training in N.C.C. and N.S.S. is provided in the collage. The collage also bring out its magazine `The Doal.
D.A.V College Jalandhar The college came into existence in 1918. It provides instructions in Arts, Science (medicine & non medical) and Commerce upto degree lavel, M.A. in English, Hindi, Punjabi, Sanskrit, Economics, Political Science, History, Mathematics and Chemistry. The college has also started I.A.S. coaching centre, Indira Gandhi National Open University Study Centre, Computer Centre and Diploma in Export Marketing. The college brings out two magazines, viz. 'The Ravi' and 'The D.A.V.News' annually.
Layallpur Khalsa College for Women, Jalandhar The college was originally started as a girls section on Layallpur Khalsa College in 1958 and was shifted to its new premises in 1960. The college is imparting instructions in Arts upto Degree level. Training in N.C.C. and N.S.S. is also provided in the college. The number of literacy and cultural societies and associations have been functioning in the college. The college brings out its magazine 'Chirag-I-Rooh' twice a years.
Government Arts & Sports College, Jalandhar Originally the college came into existence in 1961 in the name of State College of Sports. State School of Sports, Jalandhar is located on Kapurthala Road. This institution was inaugurated on 15.04.1961 by the then Chief Minister Shri Partap Singh Kairon, to impart specialized coaching to the budding sportsmen of the District besides their normal education. Sh. Som Nath eminent Sportsman and Educationalist was the first Principal of the School. Coaching facilities are available in disciplines like Hockey, Football, Basketball, Handball, Volleyball, Wrestling, Gymnastics and Swimming. The school has produced many national and international players like Pargat Singh, Surjit Singh-Indian Hockey Captains. Similarly Kulwant Singh, Baldev Singh, Tejinder Singh, Ashok Kumar, Harpreet Singh, Harcharan Singh all former olympians also received education from this institution. There are 166 seats for different disciplines in this school. In 1978-79, the college was renamed as Government Arts and Sports College, Jalandhar. Since than, the college imparts instructions only in Arts upto Degree level. The college brings out its magazine 'Apollo' annually.
University College, Jalandhar The college was started by Punjab University in 1962. It was then called Punjab University Evening College, Jalandhar. The college was transferred to the Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar in 1973. There university has introduced merit promotion scheme in the college. The college imparts instruction in Arts and commerce upto Degree level. Besides, the college has provision for Diploma in Personal Management and Industrial relation and Diploma in Journalism.
Banarsi Dass Arya Girls College, Jalandhar Cantonment The college came into existence in 1964. It provides instructions in Arts, upto the degree level. It also provides diploma in Dress Designing and Tailoring, diploma in Computer Programming and Diploma in Computer Applications. The college publishes its magazine 'Devi' annually.
Government Collage of Education, Jalandhar The collage was established in 1947. It is imparting instructions to the students of B.Ed. and M.Ed. classes. It also imparts training in N.S.S. A number of literary and cultural societies are functioning in the collage.
Montgomery Guru Nanak College of Education, Jalandhar The collage was started in 1955. It imparts instructions in Bachelor of Education Degree. Training in N.C.C. and N.S.S. is also provided in the collage.
Guru Nanak Dev University Regional Centre, Jalandhar It was established in June 1979 in the building of Montgomery Guru Nanak College of Education. The Regional Centre imparts instructions leading to M.A. in English and Punjabi, M.Phill. English and Punjabi and L.L.B. (Professional)
Sanatam Dharam College For Woman, Jalandhar The college came inot existence on 23 July 1977 with the noble motive of spreading high education among girls. It provides instructions in Arts upto Degree Level. The college publishes its magazine 'Gobind' annually.
Kharaiti Ram Mahindru D.A.V. College, Nakodar The college came into existence in 1970. It provides instructions in Arts and Science upto degree classes, N.C.C. and N.S.S. units are also functioning in the college.
Guru Nanak National College, Nakodar The college came into existence in 1970. It imparts instructions in Arts and Science upto degree level. It also imparts instruction in B.Sc. Computer Science and B.Sc. Economics. The college publishes its magazine 'Rabbi' annually.
Guru Nanak National College For Woman, Nakodar The college came into being in July 1971. The institution provides instruction in Arts upto Degree Level. The college publishes its magazine 'Churn DA Chamber' annually.
Master Gurbanta Singh Memorial Janta College, Kartarpur The college was established in 1971 and got affiliation on 13 August 1972. It imparts instructions in Arts upto Degree Level.
Guru Gobind Singh Government College, Jandiala Originally established as Guru Gobind Singh Republic College, its was taken over by the Government in 1983 and renamed as Guru Gobind Singh Government College, Jandiala. It imparts instructions in Arts and science upto (10+2) classes and in Arts upto degree level. N.C.C. and N.S.S. units are also functioning in the college. For all round development of the students, various educational and cultural societies and association have been functioning in the college. The college published its magazine 'Baaj' annually.
Guru Nanak Khalsa Girls College, Baba Sang Dhasian The college was established in 1970 in commemoration of Quincentury of Guru Nanak Dev. It provides instructions in 10+2 Arts and Science (Medical & Non-Medical), B.A .& M.A. in Punjabi and Political Science. The college has also started diploma in Computer Science. The college publishes its magazine 'Sang Mehima' annually.
Dayanand Ayurvedic College, JalandharThe college was established at Lahore in 1898. And after the partition of the country in 1947, it shifted to Amritsar and then to Jalandhar in 1953. The institution is being run by the D.A.V. College Managing Committee. New Delhi. The college is affiliated to Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar. The institution provides instructions in B.A.M.S. degree course which is of 5 ½ years duration. The Department of Anatomy and D.A.V. Pharmacy are also running in the college. The college is also having one hostel where 50 students can be accommodated at a time. It is also having one 50 bedded hospital.
Technical education plays an important role in industrial development of the country. To ensure steady flow of technical personnel, a number of Technical Colleges, Industrial Training Centers Industrial Training Institutions are run in the State. On 31 March 1994, 3 Industrial Training Institutes for boys and 2 Industrial Centers for girls were functioning in the district. In these Industrial Training Institutions / Centres students are prepared for Diploma Certificates, Course in Civil, Mechanical, Electrical Engineering, various trades/crafts such as Welding, Carpentary, Fitting, Turnery, Black Smithy, Steno Graphy, Radio and Television Mechanic, Refrigerator Mechanic, Electrician, Wireman, Draftsmanship, etc. The girls students are tough crafts like Tailoring, Cutting, Hand Embroidery, Machine Embroidery, Needle Work etc.
Besides the above Industrial Training Institutions, the district is having two polytechnical institutions, viz. Mehar Chand Polytechnic Jalandhar and Government polytechnic For Woman Jalandhar and one Regional Engineering College Jalandhar.
Mehar Chand Polytechnic Jalandhar It was started in 1954. The course in being conducted at present in college are : Three years diploma course civil engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Electronics and Communication Engineering, two years Diploma Course in Pharmacy. The college also encourages students in sports and games.
Government Polytechnic College for Women, Jalandhar The college came into existence in 1970. This institution provide instructions in two years diploma courses, viz. Library Science, Pharmacy, Architect and Commercial and Secretarial Practice.
Dr. B. R. Ambedkar, Regional Engineering College, Jalandhar This college is the 17th in the chain of Regional Engineering College established in seventeen major states of the country and is a joint state of the country and is a joint enterprises of the Government of India and the State of Punjab. It is established with the objective of providing instruction and research facilities in new and emerging disciplines of engineering and technology.
The courses being conducted in the college are, (I) Electronic and Communication Engineering, (ii) Industrial Engineering, (iii) Computer Science and Engineering, Structure Engineering and Construction Management, (v) instrumentation and Control Engineering, (vi) Textile Engineering (vii) Chemical & Bio Engineering and (viii) Mechanical Machine Design and Automation Engineering .These courses are spread over 5 to 7 years. The actual intake in all these courses is 260 students out of which 130 seats are reserved and Students of Punjab State and 130 seats for students of other states and Union Territories.
DR. B.R.Ambedkar Regional Engineering College,
Post Office Suranussi,
Tel: 91-181-293301,02, 03,293653
Punjab Technical University, Jalandhar
Punjab Technical University, Jalandhar was established by Government of Punjab in January 1997. Its sole objective was to expand higher technical education. Presently
Punjab Technical University has about 80 engineering and management colleges and about 110 centres of IT/managment under its Distance Education Programme. Main Campus is at Jalandhar Kapurthala Road , Near Science City. City campus of Punjab Technical University is situated at Ladowali Road, Jalandhar (Pb). It has online Virtual Campus, Distance Education Directorate and administrative office.
Regular entrance exams for various courses are being carried out by University and the students are offered seats as per merit list. University has also job placement cell which helps students in job placements. University has liasioned with Confederation of Indian Industry(CII) for research work .helps the industry in R&D through its various programmes.
GT Road Jalandhar, Punjab
DAV Institute of Engineering & Technology (DAVIET), Jalandhar
DAV Institute of Engineering & Technology (DAVIET), Jalandhar self financed affiliated to Punjab Technical University was established in the year 2001 by DAV College Trust & Management Society, New Delhi. The Institute is located in the heart of city adjacent to DAV College, Jalandhar on Jalandhar-Amristsar National Highway spread over an area measuring about 18 acres possessing extremely beautiful landscape with a running canal on its back and historical Burlton Park on its font.
Excellent State of art Infrastructure & Laboratory equipment with more than 400 HP Compaq PCs installed in the Computer Centre.
Overall excellence in Sports as well as co-curricular activities.
Highly qualified & motivated faculty with a desire to excel.
Tailor designed Personality Development Programme (PDP) to supplement the technical skills empowerment.
There is only one institute in the district, viz. Apeejay College of Fine Arts which was setup in 1973 under the name of Rajeswari Kala Sangam. It has established itself as a premier institution of North India. It came into being with an object of reviving, preserving and propagating the culture heritage of India in this part of the country.
Rajeswari Kala Sangam which made a modest beginning with just a score of students in its hobby classes of music and dance is today a full-fledged post graduate college of Fine Arts. The college was granted affiliated from M.A. Music (Vocal and Instrumental) in 1975 and M.A. Fine Arts (Drawing and Painting) in 1977. Soon after the department of English, Home Science, Psychology, Philosophy, Hindi and Sanskrit were added to the already existing department of Dance, Music and Fine Arts. The department of Sculpture was started in the year 1981. The department of Commercial Arts and Mass Media was also added in the year 1988. To expand there scope of service to the at loving people of all age groups, the hobby wing has been separated from the Appejay College of Fine Arts and it continues to serve under the original name of Rajeshwari Kala Sangam. In order to create disciplinary spirit among the students, N.C.C. and N.S.S. units are also functioning in the college.
Oriental School and College
The Sanatam Dharam Vedic Sanskrit Patshala, Jalandhar is the only institution in the district for providing education in oriental learning started by the Sanatan Dharm Sabha, Jalandhar. It is affiliated to the Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar. It imparts instructions in Prajna, Vishard and Shastri, free of charge. Even the boarding and lodging expenses of all the students receiving education in the Pathshala are paid by the Sabha.
With the spread of education, libraries are becoming popular in the district. Various libraries in the district are maintained by the municipal committees. The school and colleges have their own libraries for the use of the students and technical staff. Generally most of the Panchyats in the district maintain small libraries/reading rooms for promotion of education and general knowledge among the peoples in the rural areas. All these libraries are doing useful service to the people. These libraries subscribe to the number of books, daily newspaper, weeklies, fortnightly and monthly magazines.
District Library, Jalandhar The library came into existence in 1957. As on 31 March 2002, it has 80,105 books. It subscribe to 7 daily newspapers and 10 magazines. The library provides fee service to the people and play an important role in the spread of education.